Sunday, October 08, 2006

Jack Klein


My friend and neighbor, Jack Klein, died last night. Jack was the first neighbor to welcome me to Heritage Hills. He was a little disappointed, I think, that I bought this house. He had just married a young Hispanic couple who had been trying to buy it, but couldn't get financing.

Jack was the most openminded, progressive individual I have ever known. He accepted everyone and judged no one except those who tried to limit the freedom of others. Jack planned his own funeral (April 2006) as a celebration to be held while he was still here to enjoy the party. He danced, sang, and told stories along with everyone else. It was a great party and by far the most moving and memorable funeral I've ever attended. The amount of love in that room was overwhelming. What a tribute--celebration rather than mourning.

Jack's last community activity was the IFC sponsored Crop Walk. He walked and was pushed in his wheel chair for 3 miles to raise money for the hungry. A party-loving, human-loving individual. Unfortunately, there was no mention of the Crop Walk in any of our local newspapers, let alone Jack's dedication and contribution.

Jack Klein is the model of what it means to be a progressive in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. More importantly, he was a good, loving man with a great sense of humor. I will miss him.

No comments: