Monday, September 03, 2007

Garden Quotes

I'm cleaning out all the dead plants from my garden today. Drought is brutal. Hopefully some of my native perennials have simply gone dormant and will return next year although I'm rethinking my entire garden design. Going to be looking for shrubs this fall. Even though I've been quite diligent about planting drought resistant perennials, they still need SOME water.

"I can't resist a pretty plant. When I see it, I want it, I buy it, take it home, and plant it where ever I can find a place. If I had a similar moral code when it comes to romance, I would be divorced several times over by now. That is the reason I grow a cottage garden. I can stick everything in with complete abandon and no discrimination whatsoever."
-- Cassandra Danz, Mrs. Greenthumbs Plows Ahead: Five Steps to the Drop-Dead Gorgeous Garden of Your Dreams

"Gardening... is a painstaking exploration of place; everything that happens in my garden--the thriving and dying of particular plants, the maraudings of various insects and other pests--teaches me to know this patch of land more intimately, its geology and microclimate, the particular ecology of its local weeds and animals and insects. ... Lawns work on the opposite principle. They depend for their success on the overcoming of local conditions."
-- Michael Pollan, Second Nature

"I sometimes believe that acknowledging a consciousness and a conscience within nature actually holds the last best hope for a humanity seemingly bent on destroying this fair Earth."
- Jim Nollman, Why We Garden: Cultivating a Sense of Place

No comments: