Sunday, July 24, 2005

Blogging Teach-In

The Blogging Teach-In today was incredibly informative. How generous of these guys (Anton, Jackson, and Corey) to give so freely of their time and expertise. Anton started the workshop with a brief introduction to blogging terminology and features followed by a demo of the different blogging softwares. He did a great job of simplifying the technical terms for the small, but eager audience of non-techies. He should definitely consider teaching at some point. After Anton's intro, the group broke into small groups. Jackson helped me set up an RSS feed (actually, I found out I already done set it up, but didn't know how to make it visible or how to reference it) which was my initial purpose in coming to the workshop. Then he helped me set up the Smith Level Road documentary link through my navigation column. Thank you Jackson!

On my way out, I stopped and chatted with Ouida, an instructional technologist from DPI. She showed me some new instructional technologies that they are working with. The one I liked the best is geocaching, webquests using GPS.

I tried to show her the Smith Level Road documentary link and found it wasn'linking to Flickr so I went back over to Jackson who was helping Will Raymond with something. We fixed up my problem and in the meantime, Corey came over to show Will how he is using Google to create a graphic map of the home locations of candidates running in the fall election. Unfortunately, I can't find that link, but did enjoy playing around the with GIS map my neighborhood. This map shows just how close the proposed Walmart is to Heritage Hills. The Lee-Moore Oil Co land runs between Smith Level Road and Woodbridge on the east side of 15-501.

No comments: