Sunday, December 16, 2007

Locavore and Dark Days Challenge Recipes

The Oxford University Press’ 2007 Word of the Year is locavore, meaning a person who endeavors to eat only locally-produced food. “The word ‘locavore’ shows how food-lovers can enjoy what they eat while still appreciating the impact they have on the environment,” said Ben Zimmer, editor for American dictionaries at Oxford University Press. “It’s significant in that it brings together eating and ecology in a new way.”

In my attempt to become a card-carrying locavore, I've taken the Dark Days Eat Local Challenge. This is definitely a much harder challenge to meet than I expected. So far, I've managed one meal a week, but neither meal has meet a full range of nutritional needs. Here's what I've made:

Silken Chicken: Although I am primarily vegetarian, I do occasionally eat chicken or turkey but only if it it is ethically raised (free range, no hormones, etc). For the Dark Days Challenge, chicken is going to be my best bet for locally grown food. For the silken chicken, I was able to use locally produced cream also, but the spices and herbs aren't grown anywhere close to Carrboro.

Spanish Tortilla: This recipe was given to me by Caroleena Barrow. She served it one night when I dropped by for dinner, and I've asked her to make it for me twice since. It has a very simple ingredient list--potatoes, onions, and eggs. Carol insists that white potatoes must be used, but in the spirit of the local challenge, I used locally grown red potatoes and couldn't tell the difference. Latta's cage-free, brown eggs and locally grown yellow onions made this a totally local meal, and once I overcame my fear of messing up a dish that I love, incredibly easy to make. boil potatoes in salt water (I didn't peel them). When cool enough to handle, chop into bite-sized bits. Sautee onion in too much olive oil. Scramble eggs with salt and pepper (no milk). Add in onions and potatoes and turn into a skillet. Cook over low heat so that the eggs cook slowly into omelet-like consistency. Flip when dry enough not to fall apart (I messed this part up). The non-local part came from the salsa used to top the tortilla. I'll be checking for locally produced salsa at Weaver Street since I suspect this dish will become my winter favorite.

No comments: