Monday, December 31, 2007

New Years Resolutions

I have done a miserable job of fulfilling my Dark Days Eat Local challenge. But in my failure, I have learned that this is not the time of year to take up cooking. While I used to love cooking, over the past 10 years or so, I've let my career take top priority and have fallen into some rather atrocious eating patterns. The Dark Days challenge has put me back into cooking mode, thinking about cooking as a craft that takes time and gives enjoyment rather than just an end-product intended only to assuage hunger or drown my problems with.

So this years New Years Resolutions have to do with food.

1. I renew my vow to fix at least one meal a week that is composed exclusively of locally grown foods, regardless of the season.

2. I also intend to invite friends over for a meal at least once a month. Cooking for others is great motivation to try new recipes.
food budget goes to purchasing commercially produced (e.g., over processed) yogurt. With Maple View Farms milk so easily accessible, there is no reason not to make my own and re duce my reliance on pre-processed food even further.

My other resolution is to get back into documentary making. Today I began documenting old store fronts in Orange County. I'm starting with Cedar Grove Township. Here are two stores on old Highway 86:

3. And last but not least, I plan to begin making my own yogurt. A large portion of my food budget goes to purchasing commercially produced (e.g., over processed) yogurt. With Maple View Farms milk so easily accessible, there is no reason not to make my own and re duce my reliance on pre-processed food even further.

My other resolution is to get back into documentary making. Today I began documenting old store fronts in Orange County. I'm starting with Cedar Grove Township. Here are two stores on old Highway 86:

No comments: